Friday, June 25, 2010

10 Lucky Stones and a 4-Leaf Clover



I took the dog to the beach the other weekend for a little swim. Of course I always keep an eye out for lucky stones. Lucky stones are actually the ivory colored ear bone found in Sheephead fish. After a the fish dies and the body decays these white "stones" wash ashore. The unique thing about them is that every single one of them has an impression of the letter L. Lucky stones have been found at ancient archaeological sites, where they are thought to have been used as good luck charms to ward off illness. I first learned about these a few years ago and I began my search. I think it took about 7-months before I found my first one. Some days I might find one or two and then I might go a period of time before I find another. I was fortunate enough to find ten of them in an hour and a half this past weekend. A personal record! Add on top of that the four-leaf clover I found over the weekend as well. Now maybe I can channel some of this luck to use towards my favor.

1 comment:

  1. You should come to where I am. I collect them on a regular basis. Today was a decent day at about 30 in a hour. I have hundreds and plan to make my fiancee a 3 tier necklace for her to wear on our wedding day, on the same beach I collect them at.

    ReplyDelete